If You Decide to Contact the Police

If you decide to report the incident:

  • Contact the police in the municipality where the sexual assault took place as they have jurisdiction to investigate. If you are unsure of the location, contact the police where you think the crime occurred.
  • If the assault occurred on university property, contact Rutgers University Police Department. If you are unsure, contact the Rutgers University Police Department and they will assist you. The New Brunswick RUPD non-emergency number is: 732-932-7211.
  • Although a patrol officer is generally the first to respond, a trained detective will do the investigation. Police, in order to investigate the crime, will question the survivor, collect evidence from the crime scene, receive the evidence obtained at the hospital, take a formal statement and protect the survivor’s anonymity.
  • The survivor is entitled to request the presence of a Confidential Sexual Violence Advocate during the interview. The survivor has the right to have a Confidential Sexual Violence Advocate present during all medical and law enforcement procedures. If you would like to speak with an advocate or have an advocate present, contact VPVA.
  • The interview will usually focus on the events prior to the initial contact with the assailant, a detailed account of the behavior and words used by the survivor and the assailant, a detailed account of the assault and a description of the assailant.