Filing Legal and/or University Charges

Domestic violence or dating abuse is both a criminal and a university offense. Criminal charges can be filed through the Rutgers University Police Department, through the municipality where the incident occurred, where the abuser lives or where you live. You may also apply for a temporary restraining order.  This is a civil action compelling the abuser to, among other things; refrain from having contact with you.

If the abuser is also a Rutgers student, you may file a complaint through the Sexual Harassment, Sexual Violence, Relationship Violence, Stalking and Related Misconduct process.  To file such a complaint, fill out an incident report form, contact the Office of Student Affairs Compliance and Title IX or VPVA.

Keep in mind that a counselor or advocate from our office can accompany you to the Police and/or the Office of Student Conduct.